- Facebook's goal is to help people communicate more effectively and to extend relationships beyond face to face
- The best way to make a site is from the bottom up, from the users and not necessarily from the "creators"
- Facebook is launching in France tonight
- The main goal of Beacon was to build a platform that allowed users to take actions outside of Facebook and share that with their friends on Facebook. This is an effective ad system because it shows you habits of your friends and it's not a company trying to sell you something. However, Beacon bombed mainly because only few used it and those that did saw it as a concern for privacy. They didn't necessarily want to share their non-Facebook buying habits.
- Mark mentioned that it's best to give people control over their information (cell phone numbers, addresses, etc.). He said that all mistakes they’ve made at Facebook have stemmed from not giving people enough control.
- They are in the process of changing some aspects about current applications on Facebook. Mark said that they really haven't touched a lot on making music a part of their site because users take care of that with applications. While he's always conversing with several different companies regarding music, they haven't reached any deals or anything (yet).
- Mark is now taking a more active role as CEO and not as much in product management. He says this is a good fit for him because he said that the CEO sets the tone of the organization.
- Facebook considers itself a technology company, not a media company. Every one of its management positions have a technological background. They want to enable other people to make companies.
Here's a video I took of the interview. Take from it what you will. I'm sorry for the sub-par video-taping skills!